The Afro-Caribbean Good Life Environmental Initiative project by Next Step Initiative is looking for a Community & Outreach Engagement Officer to cover the West of Scotland
Job Description and Person Specification
Post Title: Community & Outreach Engagement Officer West of Scotland
Project aims: The Afro-Caribbean Good Life Environmental Initiative aims at stimulating, supporting and encouraging African and Caribbean Community resilience and sustainability towards low carbon community around Glasgow and West of Scotland.
Reporting to: CEO Next Step Initiative and Board of Management.
Main Purpose of Post: Delivery of Project aims, fostering good relationships with the African and Caribbean Communities and coordination of the Outreach and Engagement Programme in West of Scotland, developing new partnerships, and the supervision and support of volunteers.
Main Relationships: African and Caribbean community Organisations in Glasgow/West of Scotland, Home Energy Scotland and Zero Waste Scotland.
Terms & Condition: Fixed Term contract from 10th December 2019 to 31st March 2020
Contract Value: –£15,696 (including employer NI & 4%pension contributions) Minimum input toward the project will be 25 hours per week
Office Base: Glasgow but with responsibility in West of Scotland
Scope of the job: Your Role
As part of the team at Next Step Initiative, you will be part of a team to deliver the new ‘’The Afro-Caribbean Good Life Environmental Initiative’’.. You will successfully develop and deliver against an ambitious project plan, and ensure high-quality delivery
- Reduction of family Carbon footprint/Energy Consumption and applying energy-efficient practice.
- Contribute toward the cut down of carbon emission by 455 tonnes co2e (lifetime)from 300 African and Caribbean household around Glasgow and West of Scotland.(responsible for 150 households in West of Scotland)
- Improving behavioural change, lifestyle of individual & families’ practices which will reduce primary and secondary carbon foot print/emission.
- Improve community sustainability by training 20 climate champions and 300 individuals from the community on energy saving and efficiency, change of life style towards environmental friendly practices.
- Overall responsibility for recruitment / induction and training of volunteers
Duties and Key responsibilities
- Coordinate the outreach and engagement programme with the community groups (mainly with isolated African and Caribbean groups) in West of Scotland
- Coordinate,plan and deliver home visit, energy advise to over 150 households in West of Scotland over the period of project
- Coordinate the use of ABCi media (Radio & TV) to deliver climate change programs on a weekly basis
- Coordinate training of community champions and equipping them with the knowledge to use energy saving gadgets and to pass the knowledge to the communities
- Work with the rest of the team and NSI CEO to develop and implement climate change information apps for update and accessibility of information
- Oversee recruitment and support Energy Champions and volunteers covering West of Scotland.
- Coordinate the development of video about the project learning where community members will talk about their journey toward low carbon lifestyle
- Coordinate home energy audits within African and Caribbean households in West of Scotland, raise awareness of Warmer Homes Scotland Scheme, and make referrals to Home Energy Scotland as required
- Submit monthly report to NSI CEO
- Carry out other appropriate duties as required.
Personal Training and Development
Undertake appropriate training where necessary
How to Apply:
Please send a CV and covering letter (Max two pages) outlining why you are applying and your suitability for the role. The letter should speak directly to the responsibilities, Key Competencies, skills and experience outlined in the job description. Please also return a completed equality and diversity monitoring form. The detailed Role description and person specification can be found at www.nextstepinitiative.org.uk
Applications should be send to : email@example.com or telephone 01414402700
Please include your name and ‘’ Community & Outreach Engagement Officer West of Scotland’’The Afro-Caribbean Good Life Environmental Initiative in the email line
Deadline for applications: 12 noon, Saturday 7th December 2019.
Interview Date: Monday, 9th December 2019.
|WIN FREE energy bills for a whole year with @HomeEnergyScot. Read the quiz carefully, answer three multiple-choice questions, enter your details, and you could be the lucky winner!
Enter now at http://bit.ly/FreeEnergyBills
(T & Cs apply)
See how much you can save by doing this
The effects of climate change is so urgent that we must double our efforts to safe our planet for the future generation. This is why we use every and any avenue to reach communities.
Our recycling and up-cyling workshops are increasingly and surprisingly attracting a lot more young people.
Using a combination of African fabrics, the group of young people between the ages of 18 to 27, using our swap shop and sewing room to design and alterations.